Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oriental Cabbage Salad

My husband really broke his leg a few years back. He was home for six weeks. It wasn't that he was home all day but he was also bedridden for half of that time. That meant I went from one meal a day (because he made his own breakfast and ate out at lunch) to me having to fix all three meals. He is someone that loves food but he also needs to watch calories so this turned out to be a huge frustration for me. I am not someone that loves to cook...likes sometimes, but never loves. Anyway, I am content to eat the same thing day in and day out... but he is not. I was trying to figure out something for dinner one night. I had not prepared anything in my mind so I went into the kitchen and came up with a bunch of stuff. This salad became one of our favorites... especially his! He is good with coming up with ideas, not me, so for me to make this was a shock to both of us.


ORIENTAL CABBAGE SALAD

1 Cup Chopped Cabbage (I do a knife shredding - cut off a chunk of cabbage, semi finely chop in lengths then cut those lengths into smaller chunks - I would not use a shredder)

2 Tablespoons French Fried Onion Rings (French's French Fried - Original or any flavor, or any off brand is okay - you can add more for taste but you really do need these in this salad)

1/4 Teaspoon of Salt (or this can be eliminated)

1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil (this may be elimated - I never put it in...he always uses it)

2 Packets of Dried Low Cal Sweetener - (Equal, Sweet'n Low, etc) sprinkle on top

Rice Vinegar - shake over salad to taste. Be sure to put enough on or the onions will absorb the moisture.

Mix all ingredients except for vinegar. A few minutes before serving add vinegar and mix well. (Vinegar will be absorbed and lose its strength the longer it sits so do not add too early.)


NOTE:
1. I do not measure anything so these are estimated measurements. This is a salad for 2 so add cabbage, onions, sweetener, and vinegar according to the number of people you wish to serve.
2. I like the flavor of Marukan Rice Vinegar and I buy Lite (Low sodium and sugar). You find it in the Asian food section. Other brands work too.
3. This salad takes seconds to make. I tend to procratinate preparing dinner and this is a fast and easy "after thought" when I realize that I need a side dish/salad.
4. I serve this with any kind of dinner. It tastes lite and delicious. I have never had left overs when I serve it for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment